Today is day 26 of my 1,000 days to health and wealth and I am quite disappointed. Like all journeys some days will see progress other days will see set backs - this week has been a set back for me on my health quest.
For those who didn't know, 4 months ago I tore my left rotator cuff (again) and ended up with a frozen shoulder. Now my left arm is pretty much useless and has been for just over 4 months. The problem is I am left handed so this is really compromising my ability to do many things. The worst of it isn't the restriction of movement, the worst of it is the endless pain that will not allow me to sleep at night. On average I sleep for 15 to 20 minutes before the pain in my arm wakes me up and this gets repeated all night so that by the morning I am averaging maybe 3 to 4 hours sleep spaced out over the entire night.
In other words - after 4 months of this I am absolutely exhausted and the lack of sleep is having a negative effect on my ability to burn calories, not to mention I am so tired I can barely walk my dog to the front yard let alone the dog park. It has reached a point where I am not comfortable driving because I know my concentration is impaired to some extent.
Today my weight is 256 (still 4 pounds under my starting weight, but NOT where I expected to be at this stage).
All that being said, I still know that I can achieve my 1,000 day goal even with this set back. So today I am going to call my doctor to see if there is anything I can do to help with the pain so I can get some much needed sleep and I am going to double up my physio & massage sessions to see if I can't get this shoulder fast tracked to manageable pain levels.
As the crazy song says: "I get knocked down, but I get up again, your never going to keep me down" - this stupid song plays in my head every time I hit a set back and it pumps me up to move forward again.
So today I am grateful for the music that moves me to continue even when I am exhausted.
Today I am grateful for my partner Dave who's patience & efforts with me is so appreciated. I'm sure I can't be much fun to be with right now but he is still here supporting and encouraging me.
Today I am grateful for my job that allows me the flexibility to choose which tasks I want to pursue each day and where I want to work (office, home, cottage, anywhere...).
I still believe that everyday above ground is a good day - even if that day includes discomforts because this too shall pass.
Kay Kinder
1,000 days to health & wealth
No comments:
Post a Comment